Thursday, February 11, 2010

running

Back in November, I started an adventure of running. I decided to do the Couch Potato to 5k running program (check it out!). I did about 6 consistent weeks of running - not missing a run, and if I did, I made it up the next day. It was great.

In the midst of those 6 weeks, my grandma died, which was the second (pretty sudden) death my family experienced in 2009. To say that those two deaths were hard and shook my world is an understatement. But, something I had after Grandma's death that I didn't have after Uncle Mike's was my running. It was great to get out there and run - just get all of the emotions of fear, anger, hurt, confusion, and just grief out in a good run is what I really needed.

Well, I wound up with a pretty rough respiratory infection around what was supposed to be W7D2 (Week 7 Day 2) of the program, and I slacked off a good bit. After gaining some strength and health back...about a week and a half later...I ran again, and I did a full 5k! It was amazing. I absolutely LOVED the feeling of knowing that I had just run 5k. The next run, however...not so great. lol I ran, but it wasn't a good run and I didn't feel as if I had accomplished much with it.

Here it, about two/two and a half weeks later, and I finally had another run today. It was great! I had forgotten how much I really enjoyed running. I think running became a good release for me as well, as I can tell a difference in my mood in general when I'm not running. I become more impatient and just not the happiest person. So, I reckon it's made me realize even more how important running is to me. Just gotta keep it up!!!

I have my first 5k race on Saturday. I'm definitely not looking to be anywhere near the front of the pack, but I'm hoping to finish strong! I'll let you know how it goes. :)

1 comment:

B. Jones said...

Ellen - let me start by saying my heart opens for you and I pray that you have continued and increased solace in light of the losses and challenges you've experienced over the past year. Bless your heart . . .

Secondly . . you are tops in my book . . .thank you for your kind words regarding my kids - -I am the proud Daddy!!!