Friday, December 19, 2008

simplicity

Every morning, I drive over the Catawba River bridge taking me into Fort Mill on I-77. I've always loved looking at the water anytime I drive over a bridge, so driving over the river every morning is a special treat.

I sometimes catch it just before the sun comes up. It still has a hazy look to it, and the bridge in the near distance isn't easily seen in this light. Regardless, I still consider it to be very pretty. Other mornings, when I leave a few minutes later, the sun is just coming up and the river has a gold and pink tint reflecting the morning sky's beautiful hues. Oh, how gorgeous! The neighboring bridge can barely be seen, and the stillness of the scene is breath-taking. But still, there are times when I drive over, and the sun has almost completely risen, and the light shining on the water is gorgeous. It's all I can do to keep my eyes on the road instead of on the water. The mirror-like reflection of the bridge adjacent to the one I'm driving on is completely picturesque. It catches my breath almost every time I see it, making my rushed morning of leaving way too late for comfort seem an okay circumstance after all.

It's the simple things in life - like a common day drive over a bridge - that can take your breath away. It's in those moments that God whispers the all-assuring promise of His love to you again and again.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

WEll, its comforting to read that those mornings when you speed out of the house, you at least slow down enough to enjoy the view!

Love you bunches,
Mom